Tuesday, September 30, 2008

December 2nd, 2008

Dear Friend
Just up until today I thought that our family was the only family that was weird and bizarre. I never realized how normal our family really is. It’s great to find out things, you know, things that are right there in front of you, but you never pay attention to them. It’s as almost as if those things are not important at the moment, but then you spend some time thinking about them and at the end of the day it’s all you care about. Or, maybe that just happens to me. Anyway, our family got invited to this dinner party with the Craig’s. Richard Craig is my dad’s business partner; he’s got a huge house, a wife and three kids, twin guys and one girl. His kids are about my age. When we arrived at their house everything was great until we all sat down to dinner. Everything up to that point was nice, his wife was polite and kids were quiet, but then we started eating. It was so embarrassing when Mrs. Craig started to yell at her husband, because he set the table wrong. And it got really uncomfortable when the twins began to fight, because one of them drank the last of the orange juice and the girl just kept talking loud about how she hates her family. That was a fun night. It felt like we were watching our family on TV. That was the time when I realized our family was ordinary. Before, I thought of our family as an awkward group of people who always fought and got in each other’s way. But I guess that’s common for families to fight and annoy each other. However, even though our family fights, we all know that we love each other. To tell you the truth, when I am surrounded by my family, people that I love and care about most in the world, I can’t help it, but to feel infinite. There is no greater feeling than the love of a family. Just knowing that there are people who truly love you, who won’t judge, and who will always be there is the definition of “infinite” in my dictionary. Family is not just there for you, they are there with you, though happiness, sadness, laughter and grief. Of course, a family, any family is not without problems, but all the good stuff and all the annoying stuff is what keeps family together. Boyfriends, girlfriends, all come and go, but family is infinite.

I feel like I never told you about my friends, except there is nothing much to tell. To be honest, I don’t have that many friends. That’s funny, I never realized that before. I guess it’s not that funny once you think about it. I might not have lots of friends, but I do have a few very close and special friends, friends that I can trust with my life. And when I say a few, I mean one. I bet you are thinking that’s I am pathetic. Yeah, well, what else is new in my life?! Anyway, let me tell you about the friends, oops, I mean a friend I do have. There is this girl named Helen. She and I have been best friends since I can remember. We do everything together. We go to school together, we watch TV together, we shop together, it’s like we are sisters. Helen is a great person and a wonderful friend. She is very intelligent and polite. Helen wants to be a kindergarten teacher when she grows up, because she loves people, especially kids. So, at this point, I don’t really care that I have no friends, I am just glad I have a great buddy I can tell anything to. Well I guess I bored you enough for one day.
Love always, Rachel

No comments: